We often have Huevos Rancheros for a quick weeknight dinner. It's one of my man's specialties that he'll whip up for us. The ingredients are usually on hand. It's hot and flavorful and full of texture. Make sure those yolks are nice and runny!
- 4 large eggs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1-15 ounce can refried beans
- 1 bottle of enchilada sauce (or tomatillo or red salsa)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- Grated cheddar cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- Canola oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat enchilada sauce over medium heat until simmering.
- In another small saucepan, heat refried beans until heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skiller over heat oil over medium heat. Fry tortillas, one at a time, lightly browning each side. Remove from pan, and cool on a plate lined with a paper towel. Salt tortillas while hot. Drain excess oil.
- In the same skillet, fry eggs just until yolks are runny. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread beans on a fried tortilla, top with an egg, pour sauce over egg. Top with avocado and cheese.
- Serve immediately.