Who says fried eggs are just for breakfast or a trendy burger? When I saw this recipe for a carbonara with a fried egg on top I just had to try it. The runny yolk just adds more yummy sauce to the pasta. This decadent dish always surprises with how luxurious it tastes, I just want to keep eating and eating and ask myself why we don't make this more often. Don't forget to make mimosas to go with it!
I've adapted this recipe from a Bon Appetit recipe Fettucine Carbonara with Fried Eggs. In my mind a carbonara should be make with spaghetti not fettucine. Broccoli Rabe or Broccolini is vegetable with clusters of tiny broccoli-like florets; available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.
- 8 large eggs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta (Italian bacon), finely chopped (or thick cut bacon ends & pieces)
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 medium bunch broccoli rabe rapini or broccolini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Whisk 4 eggs, cheeses, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl; set aside. Cook pancetta in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to small bowl. Reserve skillet with drippings.
- Place broccoli on a baking pan and toss with a little olive oil. Broil in the oven for 10 minutes or until tops are carmelized and stems are just tender.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot, turn off heat. Immediately add egg-cheese mixture, pancetta, and 1/4 cup hot cooking liquid; toss to combine, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten as needed. Toss in broccoli. Season to taste with salt and more pepper, if desired. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat skillet with drippings over medium heat. Crack remaining 4 eggs into skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until whites are opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn eggs over; cook just until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Top pasta with eggs and serve.