Ever since a recent trip to Tender Greens and tasting their Orange Olive Oil cake, I've been obsessed with making one myself. I've had two failed attempts and the third one tonight turned out well enough to tell you about it. This humble cake is slightly sweet, fragrant from the orange zest and very moist. A great treat to enjoy with tea or coffee.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 2 oranges zested, save juice from 1/2 orange
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin or grease a scone pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs white until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar. Add olive oil, buttermilk and orange juice.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix flours, baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add flour mixture to egg mixture in small batches until combined thoroughly. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until just cake tester comes out clean and edges are slightly browned.