- 4 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1-1/2 cups chunky, seasoned marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup white or crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
In a large saute pan, heat olive oil on high heat. Add ground meat and brown until no longer pink. Add mushrooms and onions, saute for 5 minutes longer until vegetables are cooked. Add marinara sauce and rice. Simmer for 10 minutes longer. Salt to taste.
Meanwhile, cut peppers lengthwise. Trim off stems, scrape out seeds and membranes. Place peppers in a large baking dish. Season the inside of peppers with salt.
Fill peppers with meat mixture. Top generously with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and peppers are soft.
Tip: Green bell peppers produce a more bitter flavor, so I prefer the reds and yellows.