I never did finish the posts I had planned from our trip to Maui this past May. I wrote one post about our favorite food finds. But you don't really go to Maui for the food, well maybe you do. We love the beach, riding around all day in a Jeep with the top off, kayaking, snorkling and just discovering nature.
One of our highlights this visit, was a stop at the Blow Hole. The Blow Hole is an opening in a lava shelf where the ocean crashes right through! The hike from the road is stunning and it's a very interesting rocky area with beautiful views of the ocean. We had a great time waiting for the hole to blow and enjoying the views and rock formations. Kids will enjoy trying to get soaked by the water sprays.
- Wear tennis or hiking shoes, you will be hiking on rough lava rock
- It's a steep climb and may be difficult with small children, pregnant women, anyone not comfortable with a bit of climbing
- You may want to stay longer then you would expect so you can enjoy the area and views, we stayed about 2 hours
- Visit this site for more info
- Follow Highway 30 (Honoapi'ilani Highway) north from Kapalua
- Look for Mile Marker #38, about 1/2 mile past the Mile Marker you will see a large dirt pullout along the ocean side of the road
- From there you should be able to locate the trail down to the lava shelf