Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Nonna's Lasagna

My Nonna (Italian grandmother on my mother's side) sent me a wedding anniversary card a few weeks ago and included a handwritten recipe for her lasagna. Which oddly enough, I've never actually had. She doesn't make lasagna much that I can remember.

My grandparents immigrated here in the 50s and still don't speak English very well. The best part about this recipe is trying to read it. I'll give a prize to anyone who can translate it!


If I try and speak like my nonna, with her accent, it starts to make sense.

Here are a few clues:
  • Miad = meat
  • Pis = pieces
  • Ef = half

My favorite line though is the one she circled at the bottom of the page, "Eskius may rait" which translates to "excuse my writing". This one is a treasure.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails